Monday, February 9, 2009

Grammy's

Caught the Grammy's last night, even though I didn't get to watch them until about 20 minute into the program. Some notable and worthwhile performances:

Al Green and Justin Timberlake: well, not really Justin, but definitely Al Green.

Coldplay and Jay-Z: great live performance of "Viva la Vida". Great lyrics.

(can't believe I'm saying this) Jonas Brothers and Stevie Wonder: having a daughter that screams every time you even mention Nick Jonas, I was apprehensive. My observation is thus: If these guys could break out of the Disney contract and and really write meaningful songs and not have the stigma of screaming pre-pubescent girls at every live outing, they might be pretty good. They have good stage presence and perform well. But it did help having Stevie up there. "Superstition" was hands down the highlight of the set.

Allison Krauss and Robert Plant: bluegrass meet Zepplin? Gotta get that album.

and of course - U2: As usual, best way to start of the show (I believe this is the Irish quartet's third time in the last decade). I haven't been too keen on the new song, although I'm ready for the new album to drop. But after watching live it's grown on me. Kinda a of Dylan "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and Larry Norman "Reader's Digest" with a modern rock edge. They've done it again. That's why they are The Man. That's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment